Thursday, December 10, 2009

Voices from WordSlam 0|4 - REZthapoet


MY BLUFF

The other time when I was out,
my bluff called to ask after me
checking to see if my self esteem is as he desired,
low like my hard-earned salary
because it pays bluff to see me maintain that status quo
my physical took (down) the message,
pending my return as I was gone in search of soul
this bluff, dictates
this bluff, indicates
what attitude is right,
at what magnitude is right
and at what angle they can be put up in the face
this bluff, ushers my caravan of wishful regrets
haunts me like a broke heart, who can’t (even) pay love back in debt
my bluff, is the child of the intercourse
between these winds and my cautions
born of extortions, a cheat
because he, has learnt making me calls on toll-free
so if you think (that) talk is cheap,
pick a phone and call my bluff

my bluff - tough, rough,
because, he is a bully
he, lives in my conscience,
as that voice of evil that pricks me in goodies
if actions were drums, then he’ll come in the form, of repercussions
his discussions’ excursions beyond boundaries of boredom
manifests like the sounds of fears from deep inside my nightmares
I dare, think before leaps
writing wrong scripts is relative,
he knows yet he’s trying to act a nemesis
trying to act, a genesis
of this fear
of that fear
of all that is and not fair
so please, if he calls back, tell him I am not here
tell him I sleep and slumber
I am of flesh and perfection only lies of yonder
that I’m putting him to defeat,
beneath my carpet, he will forever live
under.

and let it be known that my mind is switching lines
and I’ll be fine because, he’ll never be able to call me again by these numbers

Meet the Author

REZthapoet

Abdulrazaq Adebola Afolabi is a young spoken word poet also popularly known as REZthapoet (the penname by which he writes most times) with REZ being the shortened form of rezolution (resolution). He studied computer science at the University of Ilorin where he graduated in 2006. He has been writing poetry as a hobby for about 12 years now but did not start performance until 2007. He is presently recording his poetry CD collection and also compiling his poetry collection for publishing. He performs spoken word poetry weekly at different poetry events around Lagos metropolis, the notable ones being Konscious Poetry lounge, Taruwa, Poetry potter, the Anthill 2.0, Chill and Relax, at private Occasions (like weddings and birthdays) and also at some other poetry events. He is very active online on different poetry platforms like the http://www.africanhiphop.com (poetry portal) and he also has a large following on http://www.facebook.com that predominantly make up a larger proportion of his online reading audience.

No comments: